- BE In Geodesy, Jiangxi Univ. of Science and Technology, China (1982)
- MSc in Geophysics, Institute of Seismology, China Earthquake Administration (1984)
- PhD in Geophysics, Univ. of Colorado, Boulder (1993)
- Observing and modeling Earth and planet deformation, tides, gravity and rotational variations
- Present-day and historical ice/water mass variations, sea-level change, post-glacial rebound, and mantle viscosity profile
- Interior structure of Earth and planets, water oceans on Jupiter icy moons, Mercury Libration/tides and possible fluid core
- Satellite geodesy and reference frame
- NASA/CALTECH Jet Propulsion Laboratory – Member and Senior Member of Technical Staff (1996 – Present)
- University of Hawaii - Assistant Researcher (1995 – 1996)
- University of Colorado – Research Associate (1993 – 1995)
- Member, GRACE Science Team
- Co-I, European Space Agency Mercury Orbiter Radio-Science Experiment (MORE) on BepiColombo mission
- Session chair, 14th and 15th International Symposia on Earth Tides
- Special associate editor for J. Geodynamics on Earth and planet tides
- Member, International Earth Rotation Service Working Group on Reference Frame (2002 – 2004)
- Wu, X. , M. B. Heflin, E. R. Ivins, and I. Fukumori, Seasonal and inter-annual global surface mass variations from multisatellite geodetic data, J. Geophys. Res., 111, B09401, doi:10.1029/2005JB004100, 2006.
- Zhong, M., H. Yan, X. Wu, J. Duan, and Y. Zhu, Non-tidal oceanic contribution to polar wobble estimated from two oceanic assimilation data sets, J. Geodynamics, 41, 147-154, 2006.
- Ivins, E.R., E. Rignot, X. Wu, T.S. James and G. Casassa, Ice mass balance and Antarctic gravity change: Satellite and terrestrial perspectives, In Earth Observation with CHAMP: Resutls from Three Years in Orbit, Ch. Reigber, H. Luhr, P. Schwintzer and J. Wickert (eds.), pp.3--12, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 2005.
- Wu, X. , Inverse Studies of Surface Mass Variations Using GPS Crustal Deformation Measurements, In Progress in Geodesy and Geodynamics, Y. Zhu and , H. Sun (eds.), pp. 588--600, Hubei Science and Technology Press, 2004.
- Wu, X. , M. Heflin, E. Ivins, D. Argus, F. Webb, Large-scale global surface mass variations inferred from GPS measurements of load-induced deformation, Geophys. Res. Lett., 30 (14), art. no. 1742, doi:10.1029/2003GL017546, 2003.
- Wu, X. , M. M. Watkins, E. R. Ivins, R. Kwok, P. Wang, and J. M. Wahr, Toward global inverse solutions for current and past ice mass variations: Contribution of secular satellite gravity and topography change measurements, J. Geophys. Res., 107(B11), 2291, doi:10.1029/2001JB000543, 2002.
- Wu, X. , D. Argus, M. Heflin, E. Ivins, and F. Webb, Site distribution and aliasing effects in the inversion for load coefficients and geocenter motion from GPS data, Geophys. Res. Lett., 29(24), art. 2210, doi:10.1029/2002GL016324, 2002.
- Wu, X. , Y. E. Bar-Sever, W. M. Folkner, J. G. Williams, and J. F. Zumberge, Probing Europa's hidden ocean from tidal effects on orbital dynamics, Geophys. Res. Lett., 28, 2245-2248, 2001 (Highlight of This Issue).
- Wu, X. , Y. E. Bar-Sever, W. M. Folkner, J. G. Williams, and J. F. Zumberge, Europa's tides and possible hidden liquid ocean-with new simulations on different orbit configurations and non-global ocean basins, J. Geodetic Soc. Japan, 47, 501-507, 2001.
- Wu, X. , and J. M. Wahr, Effects of core dynamics and non-hydrostatic core-mantle boundary on Earth's rotation, Geophys. J. Int. 128, 18-42, 1997.
- Wu, X. , P. L. Bender, S. J. Peale, G. W. Rosborough, and M. A. Vincent, Determination of Mercury's 88-day libration and fluid core size from orbit, Planetary and Space Science, 45, 15-19, 1997.
- Wu, X. , P. L. Bender, and G. W. Rosborough, Probing the interior structure of Mercury from an orbiter plus single lander, J. Geophys. Res., 100, 1515-1525, 1995.